Thursday 20 January 2011

Knowing my RSS from my EEBO (shameless steal) - Things 4-6

As others have said, it's nice to have already done my homework for the week. Jess introduced me to iGoogle a couple of years ago, and I enthusiastically added gadgets (widgets?) to my dashboard: BBC news, local weather, Google maps, Charlotte Brown's Library catalogue search etc. I find that I now only tend to use a couple of them: a feed from Twitter, and my Google Reader pulling together my RSS feeds. Like others, I experimented with other readers, but settled on Google as the most stable. I haven't gone the whole hog, though, and made iGoogle my home page - I'm still loyal to the University...

Interesting that the University has reinvented the wheel with start.warwick, where I can access local information, such as locating a room on campus or the amount left on my Eating at Warwick card. But it's a faff to access two dashboards.

RSS feeds are great for pulling everything into one place, but the constant flow can seem rather overwhelming at times Don't you occasionally wish that it would all stop?

There should probably be a still from an appropriate film at this point, but the Disney Corporation might sue me, so you'll have to make do with




No comments:

Post a Comment