Friday 4 February 2011

Pearls of wisdom?

I've been on Twitter for a while, and follow an odd mixture of library people, arts organisations and comedians. The Twitter god must be very confused trying to profile me...I see the value of having a network of people who may spot and alert me to interesting stuff, but I do question the Twitter diarrhoea of some people who can't wait to update the world about their every move. Thankfully not bowel movements. Unless I'm following the wrong people. Why do they think anybody is interested?

I set up a Facebook account a few years ago to lurk and see if students were dissing the Library, so we could respond. I found the delightful groups "I hate the Library and its various staff members" and "The Fat Woman in the Coffee Bar Puts Me Off My Food". I'm not sure my desire to use Facebook actively ever really recovered from this appalling stuff. As an old codger I find Facebook protocol rather mystifying: some students will ask to be my Facebook friend minutes after I've run a training session for a group.

As others have said, these are just channels of communication, so I'm happy with the idea of throwing stuff out there to see what sticks.



No comments:

Post a Comment